Monday, April 9, 2007

Wave afghan

One pattern my aunt really enjoyed doing was the wave afghan. I'm pretty sure everyone in the family got at least one afghan or throw made in this pattern. My parents have a couple. Here is one that I made years ago for a friend who was having a baby:

It's a very simple pattern to do. And can be adapted to any size of yarn, needle or afghan. The original pattern calls for making pattern strips (29 stitches wide) and then sewing them together, but my aunt always used a circular needle and put spacers every 29 stitches, thus eliminating the need to sew it up at the end. Very practical was my aunt. I have made a few other afghans using this pattern and have decided to use up my 'ice cream' coloured baby yarn making an baby throw for one of my clients. So far it's working out nicely:

This pattern is limitless in what you can do. Mixing up the colours in any way...no two afghans ever need be the same. And the other nice thing about the stitch is that it always ends up soft and airy no matter what type of yarn you use.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

It's going to be a sherbet blankie! Such a lovely rainbow of soft colors!