Thursday, March 29, 2007

Beginnings

I doubt my aunt was fully aware of the repercussions of teaching me how to knit. I remember her sitting in her favourite chair knitting away at something or other, usually a sweater for one of her nieces or nephews. At the age of five I could no longer stand it and begged her to teach me how to knit. I actually wanted to learn to crochet first, but she thought knitting would be easier to start with. And so we went to the local wool shop and purchased a pair of red double pointed needles and a ball of bright pink yarn. I still have those red needles but the pink yarn and what was made from it is long gone. I do have my first project that I ever completed...a blanket for my dolls.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I haven't looked at this for years, and now that I look closely at it I see a myriad of mistakes that today would have me ripping away furiously to eradicate. I imagine when I made it I was just so pleased to get from one end to the other without it unraveling that I didn't see the mistakes. I do remember my aunt inspecting it closely when I started to make sure I was on the right track. I think the piece was done to teach me how to work with more than one colour of yarn. I do know that I haven't looked back since and enjoy knitting today as much if not more than ever before. And I am grateful to my aunt for having the patience to teach a little five year old how to knit.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

You started a blog! Yay! How wonderfult that you have your first project.