Saturday, March 31, 2007

A surprise in the pockets

My aunt didn't only teach me to knit and crochet, she taught me a lot about life. Most notably about generosity and giving of oneself. Here she is in one of her knitted sweaters.


She made a pattern up for knitting cardigans using a circular needle, starting at the neck and increasing raglan style. It was adjustable to whatever size she wanted. She made numerous sweaters for any one who might need one, incorporating different stitch patterns and various other features, like pockets. I remember getting a new sweater almost every year, with a special addition, a two dollar bill in each pocket. The memory alone is special, as we no longer have two dollar bills any more. I don't think it would be quite the same with a two dollar coin in the pocket. I have a few sweaters still that she made, but one in particular I cherish. It is a wee baby sweater and although I have no children of my own and have not ever used it I keep it as an heirloom and reminder of what a special person she was.


I attempted my own version, but as you can see I never finished it. I expect I should get to it...one of these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay I must say knitting is an art and you must have a lot of patience for the craft. I know for a fact you have it all. Keep knitting and like Aunty go around the world a few times.