Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Year of the Sock

It occurred to me as I was going through the pictures of the projects I've completed over the past several months, that although I have purchased yarns to make afghans, sweaters, scarves and hats, I also have accumulated a lot of sock yarn. And the only completed projects, other than a sleeveless top for this coming summer are socks. I only discovered socks last fall. Not that I never knew there were patterns for them, because my mom made many pairs of socks for 'the menfolk' in her day. Yet I always considered them as fussy and time consuming and never thought I'd ever make any.

I began browsing the internet for sock patterns and the more I looked the more socks I found. There are some absolutely beautiful patterns and those who have designed the socks are very talented indeed. It takes more than just technical know how, it takes a great eye for pattern. Not all patterns can translate to a nice looking sock. My sock making is rather basic right now, as I purchased sock yarn that wasn't overly expensive. In my quest for patterns I came across several websites devoted to beautiful sock yarns of all types and most importantly all colours. The hand painted ones are my favourite. Alas, they are also the most expensive. But I have promised myself that once I have mastered the sock (which means making a sock without little holes in places they shouldn't be), then I will splurge and order myself a few skeins of absolutely scrumptous hand painted, hand spun sock yarn.

In the meantime here are a few of the socks I've completed:

This is my first real pair of socks made from DGB Confetti - 75% wool 25% nylon. I got the pattern from the internet, but I see it has disappeared.


This pair is made from Paton's Kroy - 75% wool 25% cotton. The colour is called Krazy Stripes and the pattern is a free Paton's sheet at most local yarn shops or downloadable from the net.


This also is Paton's Kroy - Tutti Frutti. It is the free Paton's sock pattern made into an ankle sock.


The last sock and my favourite pair so far is made from DGB Confetti and a pattern I made up myself. I wanted to try a pair of toe up socks so I combined a figure 8 toe with a wrap and turn heel. For plain socks I will be using this pattern over and over and as soon as I write up my chicken scratch notes I'll post the pattern here.

So as you can see this is indeed the year of the sock. I have started another pair with SWTC Tofutsies in a beautiful pattern created by Chrissy Gardiner named Kaibashira. This sock yarn is a delight to work with and I have another ball which I am going to use to make a the Monkey sock by Cookie A.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

They look so snuggly!